Good Sleep Habits
* Go to bed and wake up at the same time most days.
* Get out of bed if not asleep after 20 minutes, go to another quiet, darkened room and only return to bed when sleepy.
* Have room temperature and bedding that keep you comfortably warm.
* Make the bedroom dark and quiet.
* Use a comfortable supportive mattress and pillow.
* Reserve your bedroom for sleep and intimacy.
* Be physically active during the day (not close to bed time)
* Get outdoors into sunlight during the day, especially in the morning.
* Set aside a time early in the evening to think through issues.
* Relax for 30 – 60 minutes before going to bed.
* Use a sleep promoting routine before bed eg. small snack, warm milk, warm bath, go to the toilet, quiet reading.
* Nap for longer than 10 – 15 minutes during the day, or after 3pm.
* Drink excessive alcohol.
* Have caffeine drinks or food within 4 hours of bedtime.
* Smoke, especially in the evenings.
* Do vigorous physical activity within 3 hours of bedtime.
* Eat a heavy meal within 3 hours of bedtime.
* Do activities that keep you alert close to bedtime or in bed eg. stressful discussions, computer games, television.
* Have lights or distractions in the bedroom eg. pets, clock, computer, television.
* Use illegal drugs
Pharmaceutical Society of Australia